Listed below are summaries
of some of the external leadership classes offered by other government
and private locations in which USGS employees have participated.
Colorado Leadership Development Program (CLDP)
The CLDP Class of 2009 will commence mid-October 2008. The class is limited to about 30 participants. The cost of next year’s program will be $4,650 for the complete program, which includes a professional coaching component and food and lodging for both the October orientation and the final sessions in Estes Park during September 2009. An announcement will be made in Spring 2008 and nominations will need to be submitted sometime in July. The program is limited to applicants from the greater Denver metro commuting area, although all candidates located in Colorado will be considered. For additional information about the program, contact Dr. Bruce Kirschner, the CLDP Program Director, at 303-671-1037 or via e-mail him at email@example.com.
The DOI University website has information about their various long-term leadership programs, as well as courses and forums such as the Interior Executive Forums and the Government Wide Forums which are 4 hour discussions with award winning authors, impressive academics, and a variety of experts. Some of their programs are being updated so please use their website for the latest information.
- The Department of the Interior Executive Forums
- The Senior Executive Service Forum Series
- The Government Wide Forums: Career, Balance and Diversity Forums
- The Government Wide Forums: Career, Quality of Life and Leadership Forums
For more information, go to http://www.doiu.nbc.gov/forums
Aspiring Leader Program (ALP):
New Leader Program:
Executive Leadership Program
for Mid-Level Employees (ELP):
- Open to GS-11 through GS-13
levels who have little or no supervisory experience
- Based on OPM's Leadership
Effective Framework (LEF), this year-long program will help the participant
acquire or enhance the LEF competencies needed to become a successful
leader and manager within the federal government
- Provides residential training,
developmental work experiences, needs assessment and career planning
- More information can be
found at: http://www.grad.usda.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=154
Executive Potential Program (EPP)
- Open to GS 13 through GS15 levels
- Yearlong competency-based leadership program designed to develop senior-level public service employees into more effective leaders. The Program is based on the Office of Personnel Management's Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Graduate School, USDA's Leadership Effectiveness Inventory (LEI).
- For more information, go to: http://www.grad.usda.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=154
Senior Exectutive Service (SES)
- Open to GS-14 through GS-15 levels
- Four SES offered seminars designed to help employees position themselves for selection into SES. Each seminar reflects different key components of OPM's Executive Core Qualifications' (ECQs).
- More information can be found at: http://www.grad.usda.gov/index.php?option=com_dcontent&id=7
Yearlong competency-based leadership program designed to develop senior-level public service employees into more effective leaders. The Program is based on the Office of Personnel Management's Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) and the Graduate School, USDA's Leadership Effectiveness Inventory (LEI).
For more information, go to: http://www.grad.usda.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=213&Itemid=154
Leadership for a Democratic Society (LDS):
Helping Individuals Lead Successfully (HILS):
- Three day seminar conducted
by Staub Leadership Consultants
- Leadership concepts and
problems are brought to life through shared experiences, personal assessments,
and real-time real life issues and simulations
- Allows participants to gain
the knowledge and tools required to create lasting and effective changes
within their organizations and in their personal lives
- More information can be
found at: www.staubleadership.com